About the NSW Branch
The New South Wales Branch is one of many branches of the College, formally constituted to provide professional leadership, support, and representation of mental health nurses in our region. We work in partnership with many agencies including: NSW Health, Centre for Mental Health, Chief Nurse, Nurses & Midwives Board, public sector Area Mental Health Services, Universities, TAFE, College of Nursing, Private sector hospitals, NGO's and other service providers - Supporting mental health in New South Wales.
Our members (mental health nurses) work throughout all metropolitan, rural and remote areas of New South Wales in the public and private health sectors, hospital, community, primary health care/general practice and tertiary education across clinical, management, health administration, research, and education fields.
The majority of mental health nurses are employed in the public sector of NSW Health (Area Mental Health Services), including hospital and community multi-disciplinary teams, providing clinical and nursing services to people and their families with mental illness. This includes a range of specialist services from child and adolescence to older people, acute adult psychiatry, rehabilitation, dual diagnosis alcohol & drug services, and forensic psychiatry. Wherever there is a need for mental health services, there are mental health nurses working in partnership with other health care professionals, families and non-government agencies.
Key role of the NSW Branch
- Annual regional and local conferences
- Skills workshops and professional seminars, hosting invited national and international guest speakers and scholars
- Continuing education: Bi-monthly education forums and general meetings for members and staff
- Continuing education: Short courses in partnership with key education providers and stakeholders
- Grants and scholarships for members, staff and students to attend conferences
- Career expos - professional trade exhibitions and advice within the region
- Professional representation of mental health nursing within the region
- Professional advice and consultancy on health care policy, workforce planning, education and research
- Corporate partnerships, sponsors and events management
- Access to NSW branch and Sub-Branch resources/networks: Sydney regional and local forums, events and web-pages
- Access to College resources: Standards of practice, credentialing of mental health nurses (CPP), International Journal of Mental Health Nursing (IJMHN), research monographs, annual regional and international conferences, networks, and national website resources
NSW Branch Chair:
NSW Vice Chair:
NSW Branch Secretary:
NSW Branch Treasurer:
Janine Van Bruinessen
NSW Branch Education Committee Chair:
NSW Branch Executive Members:
NSW Branch Education Committee Members:
Alternate NSW Education Forum General Meeting & NSWB Executive Chairs: Third Wednesday of the month excluding January, December & Regional Conferences; AGM with Guest Speaker third Wednesday of July; Sydney - Education Forums are video-conferenced to remote sites in rural NSW, See flyer/Notices for details.
As minutes of branch meetings are held, the minutes will be made available here.